Monday, March 29, 2010

Frugal Finds

I have been going crazy looking for a dresser that I can use as a changer also. I don't want to have a dresser and a changer. It's a waste of money and a waste of space.

We looked everywhere!
The mall...
Used furniture stores...
New furniture stores...
The paper...

I was talking with my husband and brother-in-law when my brother-in-law reminded me of the furniture auction. DUH!

So, we went.
And I found this dresser (with a lip!) that I fell in love with.
Just loved it!
But I didn't love the finish.

But this dresser was great!
The drawers pull out with such ease because they are on tracks. The lip is perfect for a changer. It's got tons of drawer space and barely any nicks or scratches!
But, Mike didn't like it. There was another one he liked.

Anyway, being the number-holder, I was the one who did the bidding. We made an agreement that we would bid up to a certain dollar price on a few pieces and the first one we won would be the one we stopped at.

As luck would have it, this was the first one we bid on that didn't go above our dollar amount.
I was in my glory!

So, here's what happened...
We had the winning bid!
And had enough (of our original dollar amount) to refinish the dresser!

I'm terrible at taking before pictures.
Just horrible!
I get so excited to get started on the project that I just go.

But, here's the breakdown...
Dresser...$37.10 ($35 for the dresser, $2.10 for sales tax)
Stain, sand paper, brushes...$15
Only 10 cents over our budget!
Can't beat that.

And here's the finished product...the beautiful finished product.

I had to work on Saturday, but when I got home, Mike had the dresser home from my grandma's (she helped him refinish it) and put in the nursery already!
He's great!

No comments:

Post a Comment