Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

MAKING MY HOME A COZY PLACE TO LAND, ONE IDEA AT A TIME.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Frugal Finds and Tempting Tootsies!

Frugal Finds

So, you've heard me go on and on about my nesting issues. I really, really, realllllllly want to make all of my windows look great. I think I may dream about it.

Anyway, I just happened to be at JC Penney's on Saturday morning looking at maternity clothes and curtains. When we repainted our dining room, my grandmother bought new curtains for us. They were on sale for a good price, but they only had 4. I needed 5. We were looking to see if they had another one. Luckily they did at the same price that the first ones were.

But, they also had an 80% off section. With window hardware. That means new curtain rods and tiebacks.

I ended up getting 2 curtain rods (they were discontinued and the last 2 available and in a size I could use) that were originally $70 each. Yours truly got them for (gasp!) $2.97 each! They also had tiebacks that were originally $25 each and I only paid $0.97 each. I ended up getting both curtain rods and 5 tiebacks. My total was $11.44.

Don't believe me?
Take a look!
My receipt.
And the finished product! I used the scarves from my bedroom (I guess I'll replace them later) and I had Mike hang the curtain rods. Thanks, lovie!

Tempting Tootsies

Lately, I've been a little envious of those ladies with pretty toes, not that I've seen any. But I think it's a pregnancy thing. I can't see my feet anymore and it makes me a little sad.

I have been stuck between using a gift certificate for a spa pedicure/manicure that I got for Christmas now or holding on to it for later into the Spring. I like getting a pedicure and letting my tootsies hang out to breathe. But with the chance of it getting cold again, I'm not so sure I'm ready to use it now. So, I decided to give myself a pedicure at home with stuff I already had on hand. The total cost: FREE!

First, I gathered up the items I knew I'd need.
Foot scrub
Pumice stone
Great smelling body wash
Nail clippers
Cotton pads
Tub of hot water
Towel
Toe separators
Nail polish
Lotion

For the foot scrub, I mixed 1 tablespoon sugar (you can also use brown sugar) and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (you can also use honey or vegetable oil). So, things you already have in your cupboards.

For the body wash, I used a little of the trial of Japanese Cherry Blossom that I got for free at Bath and Body Works. I put it in my tub of hot water to help wash off the oil.

For the lotion, I used a green tea lotion I got a the Dollar Tree.

So, I used the scrub to scrub the rough areas on my feet, like the balls and heals and the areas where I'm prone to dry skin (like my ankles). Then I soaked my feet in the hot, sudsy water for a few minutes. I left my feet in the water and gave them a quick rub. I dried off one and used the pumice stone on those rough spots and put my foot back in the water while I did the other. Then I used the lotion to massage my feet, making sure to get the areas where I felt really sore. Again, I did one while the other was soaking. When I was done, I didn't put my feet back in the water. Next, I clipped any long edges and put the toe separators on so I didn't smudge my polish. I polished my nails and used the cotton pads to wipe up any polish that ended up not on my toes (it's funny how much gets on the skin when your pregnant belly pushes your feet away and makes it hard to bend to get to your toes).

And voila! Pretty toesies!

No comments:

Post a Comment