Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

MAKING MY HOME A COZY PLACE TO LAND, ONE IDEA AT A TIME.

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Frugal Finds: Dollar Tree Decor

I've seen this craft all over blogland, so it's about time I gave it a try. Actually, I did it a few days ago, and only just now got around to posting about it.

So, here goes!

I stopped by the Dollar Tree and bought 4 glass hurricanes. 2 were small and 2 were big. I also bought 4 glass candle sticks. 2 were small and came in a pack of 2 and 2 were big.So, my total was $7 plus tax.

4 hurricanes.....$4
4 candlesticks...$3
----------------------
total..................$7

Next, when I went to Walmart, I bought a tube of Gorilla Glue (use the instructions below for the small tube that dries in 2 times faster and dries white...or else follow instructions for a different type of glue).
Now, for the tutorial...

  • Wipe the bottom of the hurricanes clean after removing the stickers. I used Goo Gone.
  • Find the center of the hurricanes and the candle sticks, make sure they sit squarely together before gluing.
  • Next, slightly dampen the bottom of the hurricane.
  • Make a very thin layer of Gorilla Glue along the ridge of the candle stick that will sit against the hurricane.
  • Set a heavy book on top of your new decor piece and allow to dry overnight.
  • When the piece is dry, scrape away with a knife all of the excess glue that came out, since the glue expands. (Didn't that come out dutchy!)
  • Fill with decorations and place in it's new home!
That's it! Super easy and beautiful!

And CHEAP!

3 comments:

  1. Ah, I love the cheapie hurricane glasses! I love the $1 store as well. I may do all my Christmas shopping there this year. ;)
    Ok, you left a comment on my blog about what book I'm reading...I can't believe I'm saying this out in blogland for everyone and anyone to find out...but, have you heard of The Wheel of Time series? It's the 2nd to last book in the series....only 1 more to go and I'm FINISHED. Finally. :) Thanks for commenting and have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats funny Heather..I made the same hurricanes! got the idea from dollar store crafts blog..lol
    -Kristine

    ReplyDelete