Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

MAKING MY HOME A COZY PLACE TO LAND, ONE IDEA AT A TIME.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Being the wife God has created me to be...

WARNING: This is a bit of a long post. I apologize. But, please read you...you'll find yourself blessed by these words if you listen to them in your heart of hearts.

I am on a journey to achieve at goal.

My goal is to be more like the Proverbs 31 woman. A virtuous woman who cares for her family. After all, my life verse is Proverbs 31:29. In the King James, it says,
"Many daughters have done virtuously,
but thou excellest them all."

If you've never met this woman, here she is. Straight from Proverbs 31 (NIV).

Epilogue: The Wife of Noble Character
10 b]">[b]A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still night;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her female servants.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Let me just highlight a few points about her; things that I admire.

  1. Her husband has full confidence in her. This means he trusts her judgment and the way she does things around her home and her skills in raising a family.
  2. She works with eager hands. She's not afraid to go to work providing for her family. She does what needs to be done and doesn't begrudge doing it.
  3. She sets about her work vigorously. This verse also says that her arms are strong for her jobs. She does what is dependent upon her to do and she is strong, healthy and energetic for it. She goes into her work with 100%
  4. She opens her arms to the poor. This woman helps those around her in need. She is willing to give of herself to people less fortunate.
  5. Her husband is respected at the city gate. He is looked up to. He knows his success is because of how well taken care of he is by his wife.
  6. She speaks with wisdom. She is seasoned by her life and takes the time to consider what she is going to say before she says it. She doesn't just blurt out the first thing to cross her mind but considers the consequences of her words and the effect it will have on the situation and on others.
  7. She watches over the affairs of her household. This verse also says that she doesn't eat the bread of idleness. She is not lazy and doesn't loaf around all day. She wakes up with a task and quickly sets about doing it. She manages her family and all the things they need to accomplish too.
  8. Her children arise and call her blessed. So does her husband. They know that the woman they have is one to be honored for her works and her compassion. They feel that she is above all other women. She is praised by them for her works.
I want to be this woman. I want all of these things for my family. The importance of a strong female presence in the house is vital for my family. I am responsible to clothe my family; to prepare a table for them; to uplift my husband with honor and compassion; to teach my children giving and compassion for others; to be wise in my choices about everything since I am making them for my family and not just myself; to be eager in accomplishing my tasks at home and at work; to be strong for the tasks laid ahead of me; to be supportive of my husband so he can receive praise from his peers for his accomplishments. I've started on this journey by learning to prepare menus for the week ahead; making sure I start dinner so we eat at a reasonable time (and get meat out of the freezer ahead of time); learning to sew and bake; preparing things that my husband enjoys; accomplishing household tasks like laundry, cleaning, dishes, mopping, etc.; decorating my house and keeping it clean so it is pleasing to they eyes; going to my day job with a happy heart; making time for one-on-one time with my husband.

This passage doesn't deceive me for a moment, however, that this woman isn't doing all of this first and foremost for her husband. She is putting him and his needs ahead of her own. While she cares for her children and raises them with faithful instruction, she puts her husband first. She also knows that by raising her family in this manor, it will ultimately reflect positively on her husband, while teaching her sons to find wives that will build them up and her daughters to build their husbands up. Please don't get me wrong, I love my daughter with my entire heart. I just love my husband more. Wives cannot be afraid to love their spouses more than their children. After all, wives are called to put their husbands first. Please also don't think that this means that wives should not protect their children (even in a situation where they may need protection from the husband). It's a fine line to a woman's heart.

I want to encourage you to find out the kind of woman God is calling you to be (if you don't already know) and to seek to make yourself into this woman.

Dear God, Please bless the woman reading this. I may not know her name, I may have met her a hundred times. I don't know. But, I do know that you have a plan for her life and for her as a wife. Please build her up in that role and let her know that she is bringing honor to her husband and herself. Please also bless the man reading this. I may not know him, either. But, help him to find a wife who is being or learning to be who you have called her to be, or help him build up his wife so she can support him. You are awesome and can do all things. I know that this is no difficult task for you. In your wonderful name I pray, Amen.

Send up a prayer for the others reading this post, please. And post a comment on how you build up your spouse or a prayer for others.

No comments:

Post a Comment