Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

MAKING MY HOME A COZY PLACE TO LAND, ONE IDEA AT A TIME.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Frugal Finds:Good Will

I decided to take a stroll to the local Good Will today. Last year, it burned down and relocated "temporarily" near my house. I love it's new location and will be greatly sad when the old one gets rebuilt. I think they do a better business where they are at now and I like that I can walk there. It's also set up very nicely.

I put Norah in her wrap (that's how I carry her when it's just the 2 of us, since I can't carry/nurse a baby and push a stroller by myself) and headed off for Good Will.

My Good Will has a nice selection of books. I've gotten novels there, but lately, I've been into board books for N and parenting books (or more like books on the development of babies and toddlers).

Recently, I've gotten board books there like Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? and Maizey's Colors. I've also gotten Jennifer Weiner's Good In Bed and Emily Giffin's Something Borrowed. None of these books looked at all used. SCORE!

Check out my parenting books score! This also includes a picture Bible for N, a prayer book (I can find good Christian books there, too!) and a book that I got a few weeks ago. Usually, I pay $0.97 for the books. Occasionally, I'll pay $1.97 or $0.47. But still, a good deal for books never used, or at least that's how they look. One book and N's Bible did have names written in them, but that can be covered up, thus, it's no big deal.

This book snob finds nothing to sneeze at about that!

I picked What To Expect The First Year up because I read What To Expect When You're Expecting and thoroughly enjoyed it. They had several copies of that book too, but I'm not expecting (and I already had a copy that I got for free by taking a survey about whether or not I would take a prescription prenatal vitamin if I was already taking an over-the-counter vitamin) so I left it lay.

I picked up Your Baby & Child because I just happened to open to a page that talked about infant learning and play. I'm always looking for new ways to play with N because I get bored with playing peek-a-boo and using her play gyms. I liked what I saw and I liked the $0.97 price tag.

I participated in a pregnancy program (free) through my insurance company. As a thank you for doing so, they gave me 4 free books. They gave 2 that I could not pick (one about what to do in case of minor emergencies, like cuts and bee stings, and the other was about caring for a baby during the first year, like how to take a temperature and what to do if she gets a cold) and 2 books that I could pick. I chose one about basic baby care (like diaper changing, rashes, and bathing) in case I wasn't home and hubby had a question (we don't have a cell phone for him to call me and ask), and one about child development through age 5. This book, Touchpoints, was recommended to me by the nurse that directed my pregnancy program. It was one of the free ones they offered, but I didn't take it so I could take the book for Mike. When I found this at Good Will for, you guessed it, $0.97 I couldn't turn it down. This book explains how children's emotions develop and how their behavior can result from their emotions, and (if I remember correctly) how to understand their emotions and behavior on their level, how to show empathy so they understand it.

Norah was dedicated to the Lord this past week at the church we've been attending. We recently left our church of 4 years at the direction of God. As part of her dedication, Hubby and I got her her very first Bible. It's the New Testament with Psalms and it's a pink leather bound printed in the King James. More of a momento than a teaching tool (even I don't understand KJV very well). I picked up this picture Bible, so she can start to look at the pictures and learn about Jesus and God on her level. We even read a few stories after lunch today.

Lastly, I picked up this book about prayer because I believe that prayer brings miracles. When we pray, we are showing God our faith. I also picked it up because I struggle with prayer. I struggle with remembering to pray daily. I guess I struggle with "formal" prayer. I talk to God sometimes throughout my day, but it's not what I desire. I want something a little deeper. So, I decided to give this book a shot.

And that, my friends, is my Frugal Finds at Good Will. Maybe it's time you checked out Good Will's book selection, too!

1 comment:

  1. I'm planning on checking out Goodwill for maternity clothes in the coming month or so... I didn't think about them having books, I'll have to check it out and see what baby/pregnancy books they have!

    ReplyDelete