Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

MAKING MY HOME A COZY PLACE TO LAND, ONE IDEA AT A TIME.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Just for today...

I read a short book yesterday on how to be a good mother-in-law. I am far from being a mother-in-law, but I thought that I could still use the book to freshen my mind's idea of how to be generous.

One thought in there came from al-anon's serenity prayer. I'll paraphrase.

Just for today, I will not criticize.

That got me thinking. I like to thing that I'm an encouraging person, and then I realized how often I criticize people. Not to their faces, but at least to myself. And usually to my husband.

Gulp!

I don't like finding faults with myself. No one does.

So, I then started to think about what the Bible says about criticizing others. I don't know that it uses that word. But I know what it does say about building others up...or edifying others...or encouraging others.

Here's a few...

Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
Ephesians 4:32


Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing.
I Thessalonians 5:11


And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds.
Hebrews 10:24


All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.
I Peter 5b


Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.
Romans 12:10


So, if this is what Scripture says, I should probably take it to heart.

So, just for today...I will not criticize. And I'll take it one day at a time.

Lord,
Please help me to be more kind to others, to be more patient with others, and to be more understanding of others. Help me not to judge them since I don't know their situations. Lord, teach me your ways and help me to grow.
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Heather. We can all be reminded of this from time to time. It's tough being human and wanting so much to be more like Christ.

    ReplyDelete