Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

MAKING MY HOME A COZY PLACE TO LAND, ONE IDEA AT A TIME.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Marriage Challenge Week 1

This year is a year for change. I know you’ve heard this every year since your childhood, but I’m not talking about a resolution here. I’m talking about a revolution. I want to start a movement…within my marriage and within yours…to be more intentional with our spouses. It’s time that we took a look at how we are really treating those who we are supposed to love more than any other person on the Earth.

So, in 2011, I want to start the Homemade Comforts’ Marriage Challenge! 52 weeks to a more intentional relationship. It will start this week, and I invite you to join me as I take time to consider my husband and how I can uplift him more than I am. You’ve seen me post the My Husband Rocks, and this is going to stem from that. I will continue that commitment until that year is up, but I will also be starting this challenge. Then, when the button is available, grab it and join along!

Now, I know 52 weeks seems like a long time, but bear in mind that as this year goes along, we will be watching our children grow, we will be celebrating milestones as families and we will be actively involved in our day-to-day lives. It’ll take daily reminders for ourselves to be intentional when life as we know it spins faster than it ever has before. And, as we start the next week, we’ll come back and share what we have learned from our week’s journey towards more intentional living.

So, to start off, I want to point out what God has told us. Philippians 4:8 says, “Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” That is our challenge for this week…start focusing on what our spouses do that is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, admirable, excellent and praiseworthy. And then, we need to keep these things in the forefront of our minds each day. But, let’s also take it one step further and be sure to mention these things to him or her. Now, there is no need to go above and beyond, but when he does something that strikes you as one of these things, give him a compliment. For example: Mike is wonderful at just throwing things together in a skillet and turning out a great meal. Instead of just thanking him, I should have told him how much I admire that about him.

So, focus on good thoughts, banish bad thoughts, dwell on good, admirable, praiseworthy things.

What does your spouse do that is admirable or praiseworthy? Or how will you remind yourself to think about such things?

Homemade Comforts



1 comment: