Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

MAKING MY HOME A COZY PLACE TO LAND, ONE IDEA AT A TIME.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Life Simplified: The Joys of Lavender

I am a naturalist. If I can do something naturally before trying medications, I will. If I can make it on my own before buying it, I will. I enjoy trying things more naturally first. Obviously, the Good Lord gave us the items we need to live a healthy life, so we should use them before turning to man-made chemicals.

So, this week, I'll talk about lavender.

I tend to change my sheets weekly. But, sometimes the sheets need a little pick-me-up in between changes. So, I decided to make my own linen spray.

The recipe I use is found at Apartment Therapy.

It's:
  • 1 tsp. lavender essential oil (I didn't have lavender, so I used a lavender mixture)
  • 1/4 c. unflavored vodka (to keep the oil and water from separating)
  • 3 1/2 c. distilled water (or else it will turn yellow...gross!)
Mix the ingredients together and voila! Put into a spray bottle. Gently shake before each use. You can leave out the vodka, just remember to shake REALLY WELL before each use.

Lavender is good for a whole host of things!
I like growing my own lavender. But it has to be grown outside. It doesn't do well inside.

But, some other things lavender is good for are:
  1. Flea repellent-Place a few drops of lavender essential oil on your pet's collar. Adult fleas do not like the taste as it will spread to the pet's body and will not stick around.
  2. Cooking and baking-Lavender can be used like mint, sage thyme. You can use it as an herb (duh!) in cooking or add it to jams, cookies, custards and salads. It adds color and a great flavor. NOTE: DO NOT DRINK LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL! ONLY CONSUME FRESH OR DRIED LAVENDER PLANTS. THE LEAVES, THE BUDS AND THE FLOWERS ARE ALL EDIBLE.
  3. Relaxation-Place a few drops of lavender essential oil or a hand full of dried lavender buds into a hot bath to help relax the body. Or, make a bath salt using the oil and add to the tub.
  4. Mood enhancer-Take a few deep breathes of crushed lavender to calm nerves and promote a sense of peace.
  5. Soothing tea-Steep a hand full of lavender buds (fresh or dried) in boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool before drinking. This helps calm an upset stomach, reduces gas, settles nerves, reduces depression, relieves tension headaches and can help induce sleep. NOTE: DO NOT DRINK LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL! ONLY CONSUME FRESH OR DRIED LAVENDER PLANTS. THE LEAVES, THE BUDS AND THE FLOWERS ARE ALL EDIBLE.
  6. Sleep Aid-Make the tea above, or spray your sheets with the linen spray to help yourself unwind at the end of the day. Remember to take a few deep breathes to get the scent into your body.
  7. Anti-septic-Lavender is a great germ-killer. Place a few drops of lavender essential oil onto bug bites, stings, cuts and scrapes to prevent infections.
  8. Anti-dandruff hair rinse-Make the tea above, but let it cool, and rinse your hair with the tea to help reduce dandruff.
  9. Sunburn soother-Add a few drops of lavender essential oil to a spray bottle of water and mist onto sunburnt skin to soothe the burn.
  10. Dryer sheet replacement-Put a hand full of dried lavender buds into a sachet made of cheesecloth and place in the dryer to freshen clothes. Each sachet can be used up to 25 times.
On a final note: Lavender has not been clinically tested, so claims that it helps with ailments are not backed by the FDA. While there have been no reported interactions between lavender and medications, if you are planning to use lavender as a supplement any medications you are on, please speak with your doctor first!

All images found on Google Images.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I would like to try to grow some lavender next year. I didn't realize it could be used for so many things.

    ReplyDelete