Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

MAKING MY HOME A COZY PLACE TO LAND, ONE IDEA AT A TIME.

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Basket Organization

Lately, I've been in a crafty mood. And a cleaning mood.

I cleared the clutter off of my counters and realized I needed a basket there to be the catch-all. But, it needed to be an organized basket. Frugalista that I am, I decided to find a basket around the house, and use some scrapbooking supplies.

Total cost: an hour of my time!

Oh! Please excuse the dark photos. This was done at 10:30 at night.

First, Find a basket. Then find a glass jar you are getting ready to send to the big green recycle bin. Mine was a jam jar.

Now, for the fun.

Gather your supplies. I used 2 manilla folders, 2 pieces of 12x12 scrapbooking paper, a ruler, a cutter, scissors, a pencil, a marker, a bone folder and glue dots. Just an FYI, I HATE glue dots, so I used them to gry to get them used up.

Use your cutter to cut off the very tops of the folders. This should make them rectangles. Then, unfold the folders and use your cutters to cut them in half on the fold.

Cut the squares down to the size you need. I needed them slightly bigger than a letter envelope, to fit bills and such.

Use the tops of the old folders that were cut off to create tabs on the new folders, if desired.

Use your ruler to mark the fold where the new folder will fold. Then use your bone folder to create a crease to ease the fold.

Now, cut your scrapbooking paper in half.

Put glue dots on the folder and place the paper on top. Use the bone folder to create a secure bond.

Now, cut down the paper to the size of the folder with your cutter.

Use scissors to cut the top off, where you marked the tabs.

Fold up the new folder and use your bone folder to create a nice fold.

Put labels on your tabs (I could only think of 2 at 11pm).

Put them in your basket.

Enjoy.

Just don't leave this for your spouse to find the next morning. I knew I had to take care of it right away.





2 comments:

  1. Very nice! I have been in a sewing mood, and am desperately trying to find the time. Also, looking forward to doing some baking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, Heather! I LOVE thrifty and cute organization! :)

    Thanks for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete